GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
CHILD DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST
Overview of Position:
The United Way Neighborhood Zone at Poppleton seeks to build and strengthen the communities of West Baltimore by utilizing a community informed approach. Integral to this strategy is the United Way Family Center at Excel Academy, which will provide early childhood education as well as supportive services to engaged families. This is a new center with a capacity of 18 children ages 8 weeks to 24 months.
In accordance with the needs of the ages of the population served, the Child Development Specialist is responsible for the overall management, coordination and administration of the center’s early childhood development program. This includes overseeing all childcare staff, developing and implementing classroom plans that align with the center’s curriculum, and using screenings and assessment tools to track each child’s developmental progress.
This position is a full-time, 12-month position, supervised by the Family Center Director.
Critical features of this position are described under the headings below, but are subject to change at the discretion of management. This job description reflects the designation of essential job functions but does not provide an all-inclusive list of duties that may be assigned.
Child Development Specialist Responsibilities:
- Oversee the health, safety and well-being of all children
- Plan and implement a developmentally appropriate program using the Teaching Strategies’ Creative
- Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers and Twos
- Assess and track each child’s developmental progress using Ten Strategies Gold and the Ages and Stages Questionnaires
- Develop and supervise the implementation of individualized plans for each child to help them improve developmentally
- Refer all children who display developmental delays or disabilities to the Maryland Infant and Toddler Program
- Work with the Family Services Coordinator to provide parenting coaching and support for parents whose children display developmental delays or disabilities
- Supervise all childcare staff
- Work with the Family Center Director to coordinate the purchase of supplies and manage contracts with vendors
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in child development, early childhood education or related field from an accredited institution, master’s preferred.
- Minimum of two years of experience working directly with young children from birth to 24 months with a minimum of one year of supervisory experience.
- Understand and be committed to the overall philosophy of Family Support.
- Maintain respect for the confidentiality of information divulged by or on behalf of participants.
- Possess the ability to relate to people of diverse educational, cultural, and economic backgrounds.
- Be willing and able to do aggressive outreach and recruitment.
- Model appropriate interaction with young children and parents.
- Have the ability to work independently and as a team member and leader.
- Be willing to submit to a criminal background investigation.
- Have current medical evaluation, including a tuberculosis screen within 6 months before the individual begins work in the Center.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Maryland
Attention: Human Resources
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340
Baltimore, MD 21230
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.