In accordance with the needs of the ages of the population, the Childcare Lead Teacher is responsible for the daily planning, management and supervision of the classroom and children. The Child Care Teacher will consult with the Child Development Specialist or Family Center Director prior to implementing any programmatic/daily decisions.
- Work as a team member to provide a warm, nurturing environment, model and encourage appropriate social interactions and assure individual age appropriate activities for each child.
- Lead Child Centered Non-directive play within the program.
- Work with Child Development Specialist in planning lessons, classroom strategies, therapy and educational goals for individuals and groups, and daily care plan, using Teaching Strategies Gold as a framework.
- Assume responsibility for classroom activities and informally supervising assistants to assure that classroom functions are in an orderly manner and in a least restrictive environment.
- Develop plan and prepare instructional aids/material for classroom.
- Assure that all center/classroom paperwork is completed in timely fashion (Daily log, child observations, attendance, assessment tools, progress notes)
- Ensure that appearance, cleanliness, and safe environment of classroom is appropriately maintained.
- Maintain courteous communications with parents regarding their child’s progress, needs, and concerns.
- Provide informal parenting education specific to parents’ expressed interests, needs, and concerns in a positive, non-judgmental manner.
- Participate in implementation of trauma informed, attachment-based activities/model (e.g. Circle of Security, Circle time; NCAST taping, etc.).
- Other Duties as assigned related to the program.
1. Must be able to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
2. Must be able to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discriminations in sound.
3. Must have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned.
4. Must be able to bend, squat and lift to 50 lbs.
5. Must be able to get up and down off of a floor.
6. Must be able to travel to and from different locations and sites in the greater Baltimore area.
7. Must have manual dexterity sufficient to perform various keyboard functions.
8. Must be physically present at the assigned job site.
9. May be exposed to such occupational hazards as communicable diseases, blood pathogens, and aggressive or combative program participants.
10. Able to pass background check.
11. Knowledge of normal/abnormal growth and development throughout the age continuum.
12. Ability to provide, assess, interpret, and communicate age-specific data in response to protocols.
13. Must be able to accept constructive feedback.
14. Must be able to organize and manage time and manage multiple tasks.
15. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
16. Must maintain adequate personal grooming consistent with professional appearance.
17. Ability to develop and maintain effective communications and working relationships with other employees, participants, and their families.
18. Ability to demonstrate professional behavior by adhering to departmental and organizational policies and procedures, and assuming authority appropriately.
19. Must pursue education or training necessary to perform at the level of competence required to incorporate the hardware, software, technologies, and ideas relevant to specific job responsibilities.
20. Must demonstrate a positive attitude throughout the work environment by presenting with a pleasant and positive tone of voice and affect.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- AA degree, or equivalent college credits, in Early Childhood Education or related Health Care Field is preferred. Child Development Associate (CDA) certificate is required within one year of date of hire (unless AA/AS specifically in Early Childhood Education).
- 90 Hour Child Care certificate or equivalent education required; 45 Hour Infant and Toddler certificate required.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a childcare or early learning environment.
Resumes should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.