GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Community Health Coordinator
United Way of Central Maryland (United Way) is seeking a community leader with deep ties in the Brooklyn/Curtis Bay community to join our Health team and support our COVID recovery work. This position provides a unique opportunity to support the community, particularly youth, in recovering from the pandemic. The Community Health Coordinator will serve as a lay health ambassador to connect with pediatrics (6 mos. – 18 yrs.), adolescents and their parents through United Way community settings. They will educate community members about COVID vaccines. This individual will coordinate vaccine referrals, recruit participants for community listening sessions and attend training sessions to keep current on the latest vaccine developments and convey that information to the community. They will serve as a trusted resource to the community about COVID vaccines. This person will also support build out and implementation of UWCM’s new health strategy. Responsibilities may include program development, management, evaluation, and data analysis.
Since 1925, United Way of Central Maryland has been a human service leader for the region. Our mission is to improve lives by empowering leaders and mobilizing the caring power of our communities. We are dedicated to helping individuals and families struggling to make ends meet access basic needs (health, housing, employment and education), stabilize, and lead self-sufficient lives. We achieve this through a combination of direct-service initiatives, strategic partnerships, grant-making, volunteerism and advocacy.
As a member of the United Way team, the primary focus of the Community Health Coordinator is to support the community in its recovery from COVID through vaccine education and referrals and to support implementation of the health strategy. They will also work with the Health Program Officer and United Way Neighborhood Zone (NZ) in Brooklyn/Curtis Bay team to connect with the community and provide vaccine support and information.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Recruit Community Members
- Connect with parents, youth, and teenagers in Brooklyn/Curtis Bay
- Work with UWCM staff to recruit community members (parents, youth, and teenagers), NZ staff, and health care providers to listening sessions
- Work with UWCM staff to recruit parents to participate in COVID-19 training
Provide Educational Materials/Support
- Distribute standardized, accurate education content that is tailored for each targeted population group
- Coordinate health literacy 1:1 with health care providers
Refer Community Members for Services
- Refer eligible community members for CoVAX vaccine
- Support adolescents and youth interested in being vaccinated obtain parental consent
- Provide referral information for other services (e.g., mental health services, COVID testing, follow-up medical care for COVID) to community
- Proactively provide regular updates to Health Program Officer
- Attend ad hoc and/or regular meetings
- Administrative tasks as required
- Support implementation of health strategy
Qualifications and Requirements
Must be passionate about community empowerment and have strong connections in the Brooklyn/Curtis Bay community. Must be able to communicate effectively with community members across the age spectrum. The ideal candidate adapts easily to rapid changes, is responsive to requests, and is innovative and resourceful. Understanding the reasons for vaccine hesitancy and Spanish proficiency is a plus. A bachelor’s degree or seven years of relevant experience is preferred.
Additionally, the Community Health Coordinator will:
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills and proactively communicate
- Connect easily with others
- Learn new information easily and quickly, especially medical information and able to convey it simply and clearly
- Be well-organized and time-sensitive, able to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Exhibit strong collaboration skills, able to work as part of a team and independently
- Able to work in person and comfortable working in a virtual environment
- Comfort with and adaptability to different types of technology (e.g., navigate online resources, sign people up for vaccinations online, Microsoft Office Suite, new software)
- Present a professional and positive image as a representative of UWCM
- Maintains connections and network within the community to form and maintain effective partnerships in the community
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Maryland
Attention: Human Resources
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340
Baltimore, MD 21230
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.