GIVE TO UNITED WAY
Your gift keeps Marylanders in homes, helps kids in school, and provides access to healthy food and jobs that pay the bills.
Help Desk Administrator
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
The Help Desk Administrator’s role is to provide quality support with a high degree of customer satisfaction, technical expertise, and timeliness.
This position requires business, technical and trainer competencies to create and/or customize technical systems. Business competencies include but are not limited to, the ability to take a leadership role in and act in support of multiple concurrent group projects serving both internal and external customers. There is a focus on sustained high-quality customer service and training for end users including timely response to requests and follow-through.
Technical competencies include specialized skills in the use of, Microsoft Office Suite desktop productivity programs, an understanding of Apple devices and troubleshooting techniques, A/V equipment, computer networks, help-desk software, collaboration platforms and phone systems.
Trainer competencies include the ability to create an effective syllabus; determine the needs of different learning styles and choose learning activities; identify learning objectives and appropriate activities, creating documents for training, how-to knowledge base articles and assessments.
Must have the ability to ensure proper computer operation and serve as a cross-functional partner with Sr. Director of IT providing the suitable skill assessment and training support so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests.
Problem resolution may involve the use of diagnostic, as well as require that the individual give in-person, hands-on help at the desktop level as well as classroom training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
60% Help Desk/Customer Service
- Handle help desk messages and calls as required by providing telephone, email and personal in-person support to staff using experience and creativity to solve them.
- Respond to all requests and inquiries in a professional manner within timeline requested in the help desk request. Research the problem and make appropriate adjustments/corrections to successfully resolve the problem. Contact should be made regularly and at least once every 48 hours until the situation is resolved.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriate experienced technician as applicable.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Create “How To” documents for frequently arising issues.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Set up necessary equipment for onsite/offsite board meetings.
- Provide support at regional offices when needed.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Performing preventative maintenance, updates including checking and cleaning of computers/laptops/tablets, printers, and peripherals.
- Setting up new hires and completing the process of exiting employees from the IT standpoint.
- Provide IT orientation and training to new hires/temps/interns/volunteers.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
- Help with collaboration tools such as Teams and Zoom.
- Provide Avaya phone systems support throughout the organization including installation, user orientation and training, phone deployment and troubleshooting.
- Communicating technical issues/planned outages with all-staff to ensure that everyone is informed.
25% Network/Systems Management
- Accountable for troubleshooting minor technical problems quickly and identifying the root cause.
- Accountable for hardware installs, upgrades, configurations, and installations.
- Execute routine LAN/WAN support/administration as defined by LAN/WAN administrators.
- Understanding and deploying Disaster Recovery and Backup phone systems.
- Consistent inventory of IT equipment.
- Responsible for installation and support of anti-virus software.
- Troubleshoot issues with the external IT vendor system connectivity.
- Help with issues related to printing when required.
- Work with external partners to resolve IT issues.
- Review User accounts and permissions once a month.
- Manage the help-desk system and provide reports and analysis of categories and response times.
- Review the hardware equipment such as phone systems and UPS once a month and provide status updates and make changes when necessary.
- Work with AV vendors to ensure that all AV technology in the conference rooms are in working condition.
- Annually responsible for roll-out and training of Loaned Executive phones in preparation for the campaigns
15% Additional IT Responsibilities and Training
- Partner with Sr. Director of Information and Technology to prepare on-line technical training materials.
- Provide new staff with orientation to Microsoft Office 365 suite.
- Participate in evaluating new software for various organizational needs.
- Place orders for computer equipment, create and use payment request, as well as credit card reconciliation templates.
- Collaborate with Sr. Director of IT on hardware/software needs for the organization.
- Conduct Bi- monthly training sessions –
- Collaboration software – Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Helpdesk – Zoho
- Basic Microsoft Office tools, PDF and other software used in the organization.
ACCOUNTABILITIES (how you know you are successful)
- Promote active listening with team members and assist in the facilitation of team and customer meetings.
- Deliver informative, well-organized presentations and contribute appropriately to conversations.
- Accurately prepare written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective, professional, and engaging
- Help staff understand best IT practices and policies.
- Regularly communicate latest IT issues with staff
Technical Recommendation and Testing
- Ensure issues are identified, tracked, reported on and resolved in a timely manner.
- Test and compare recommended software solutions.
- System deficiencies are identified and documented including recommended solutions.
- Value customers and respond to their needs as they arise.
- Use good judgment in what, how and with what frequency to communicate with customers, understand expectations and recognize when issues/events may affect delivery.
- As part of system administration, new and discontinued users are updated immediately and review the directories and security on a bi-monthly schedule.
- New staff orientation is held as needed.
- Help desk assignments are cleared within 2 days. If the assignment takes longer than expected, the customer is informed of progress at least every 48 hours.
- Training curriculum and resource manuals/guides are developed, and group/one-on-one training sessions are held in accordance with department expectations.
- Trainings are held for new staff within the first week of employment and an annual training calendar is developed.
- On-line training manuals are prepared and kept current.
- Apply knowledge of efficient and effective file conversion methods and utilities from multiple formats (i.e. correcting files that were saved in the wrong format, converting a PDF document into word, etc.)
- Understand the professional development process and be actively involved by setting challenging goals and meeting them through continuous learning as well as proactively seeking opportunities to broaden and deepen knowledge base and proficiencies.
- Seek input from mentors and supervisors.
- Share acquired skills with team members through formal and informal channels.
- Seek and participate in development opportunities above and beyond required training.
- Participate in IT training webinars to keep up with new technologies.
Establishes and maintains relationships with UWCM staff, contributors, agencies, company representatives, loaned executives, volunteers, external service providers and vendors.
QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
Formal Education & Certification
- Degree in the field of computer science and/or five (5) years equivalent work experience.
- Certifications in MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), MCSA (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator), CompTIA A+, and/or CompTIA Security+ are desired but not required.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience with Windows 10, MacOS, Smartphones, tablets.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office 365.
- Familiarity with cloud storage programs such as Box, DropBox.
- Understanding of remote meeting software i.e. GoToMeeting, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Ability to work with printing and scanning equipment.
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities, computer networking, design, and security.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Extraordinary interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and questioning skills.
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation. Must possess excellent customer service skills and follow-through.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to apply analytical skills and creative problem solving to situations with successful resolution.
- Ability to work under pressure, keep all work current and accurate and respond to identified department deadlines with a sense of urgency.
- Must possess excellent organizational and time management skills with a strong ability to prioritize work, manage multiple priorities, delegate to others appropriately and meet established deadlines.
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative and follows all assignments through to completion within established timelines.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation, to effectively communicate with vendors, companies, agencies and staff.
- Strong human relations, interpersonal and team building skills and capabilities.
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage multiple tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. There is extensive use of a computer. Employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Maryland
Attention: Human Resources
1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340
Baltimore, MD 21230
BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
Get the latest info on how you can join us to improve the lives of our neighbors —and the neighborhoods they call home.
What Browser Am I Using?
You are currently using…
This browser will no longer be supported by Microsoft.
Try a different browser
We support any of these free, and easy to install, browsers.