POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
The Public Policy Manager’s primary responsibility is to manage advocacy software to ensure that campaigns operate seamlessly, communication is provided in a timely manner to intended recipients and they are informed, prepared and ready to act when called upon. This position will assist in the planning, management, and execution of the advocacy strategy once approved by the Board of Directors. Act as lead staff in engaging partnerships with volunteers and membership groups. The Public Policy Manager will track legislation introduced by UWCM as well as those issues that align with advocacy strategy, throughout the legislative sessions. Create campaign templates for letters, flyers, position statements and other materials related to executing the advocacy strategy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate with VoterVoice support team in the administration and operation of the platform, including but not limited to managing contacts, volunteers, reports, campaigns, and others functions of the system.
- Responsible for all data entry into VoterVoice ensuring accuracy, relevance, and timeliness.
- Analysis of data to identify key issue contacts, strategic partners, responsiveness to appeals, action taken, outcomes resulting from the campaign
- Provide training for authorized United Way users internally as well as statewide.
- With guidance from the VP of Public Policy and Public Policy Committee, develop and execute multi-year advocacy strategy that inform and engage volunteers, elected officials, staff and other stakeholders.
- Organize volunteers, community members, donors, and membership groups for rallies in Annapolis during the legislative session and at congressional rallies when warranted.
- Monitor system reports for campaign activities, engagement of advocates and to analyze overall effectiveness of campaigns.
- Manage details of logistics associated with planning and preparing for Advocacy Days. This includes scheduling meetings for the day, coordinate transportation, solicit volunteers, provide coaching for Community Captains, secure catering, obtain sponsorships, etc.
- Prepare position statements, briefings, talking points, fact sheets, relevant articles/research on topics, and other material as identified. to support advocacy efforts
- Participate in presentations to constituent groups, elected officials, business, and others regarding campaign priorities and to engage these groups in supporting priorities and advocacy activities.
- In partnership with marketing team develop communication plan in alignment with development campaign and legislative schedule.
To be successful in this job, the Public Policy Manager must consistently demonstrate competency in:
- Oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of the legislative process.
- Interpersonal skills: Must be able to treat everyone with respect and courtesy and create an atmosphere of acceptance. Must develop and maintain effective working relationships with UWCM staff, legislators and staff, donors, volunteers, community members and others.
- Effectively use the computer to research resources and report data.
- Make independent decisions using good judgment; employ problem solving techniques when appropriate.
Interacts with UWCM staff, community members, volunteers, and donors. May represent UWCM at community and business events.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree required
Note: Due to the nature of the workflow and level of responsibility, this individual maintains a flexible schedule. Evening and weekend work may be required occasionally.
- Prior experience in policy desirable.
- Experience in business development helpful.
- Bi-lingual candidates highly favored.
- Computer literacy required. Must possess a working vehicle, valid driver’s license, and valid/adequate automobile insurance.
- Ability to express ideas clearly to individuals and groups in oral discussions.
- Ability to deliver information appropriate to target audience.
- Ability to write in a manner that is clear, concise, and grammatically correct.
- Ability to work independently with high degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Entrepreneurial perspective in building relationships
- Ability to identify root causes of issues when conflicts arise and provide/apply negotiation and mediation techniques.
- Ability to effectively represent UWCM within diverse communities.
- Superb organizational and interpersonal skills (i.e., customer service, relationship, and team building).
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills – ability to communicate and empathize with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Effective time management is essential along with the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team within the department and across the organization.
- Professionalism and ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality, integrity, and ethics.
- Business analytics, strategic thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in MS Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and skilled at adapting to new software.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (sitting, standing, lifting, etc.)
The employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position at UWCM. Person may be mobile throughout the day. While offsite from UWCM, the person will be walking or standing as well as sitting for long periods of time in meetings or appointments with client. While onsite at UWCM, the person will occasionally walk and stand and interaction with personnel located in other parts of the building is also necessary. The hands are regularly used to write, type, keypunch and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and listen. Weights of up to 25 pounds occur (i.e., laptop computer, heavy files, computer reports, computer terminals or other regular office equipment.) Requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Resumes should be submitted to email@example.com.