This position drives strategic and operational direction for all United Way of Central Maryland (UWCM), technology and oversees all Information Technology (IT) functions at (UWCM). You will oversee a team of IT personnel and manage the company’s technology operations and the implementation of new IT systems and policies.
The goal is to ensure IT systems and people are effective and functioning within the limits of budget, time, and specifications of UWCM.
POSITION SUMMARY STATEMENT
The Vice President & Chief Technology Officer will be responsible for developing and executing IT strategies for United Way of Central Maryland (UWCM). Must gain in-depth understanding of UWCM’s business strategy, processes, services, roadmap, and the context in which UWCM business units operate. Working closely with the business stakeholders, must establish short and long-term IT strategies and roadmaps to meet the capabilities required to address UWCM’s initiatives and challenges.
The role of Vice President & Chief Technology Officer must have expertise in both information technology and business administration. Primary responsibilities include enhancing the quality of IT products and services, analyzing data to inform business decisions, and finding technological solutions to business needs, among other duties.
Ensure that information systems are integrated with business processes and UWCM staff is properly trained.
Must have exceptional interpersonal skills as the person holding this position needs to act as a communication link between the IT and Executive Offices. Builds diverse, effective teams, and promotes career development. Challenges and motivates IT staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management and Supervision
- Provides enterprise-wide leadership and direction in the management and operation of shared information services across the organization.
- Leads and guides the design, establishment and maintenance of the organizational structure and staffing required to effectively accomplish UWCM’s goals and objectives in information technologies.
- Responsible for managing, developing, and coaching the information technology team.
- Engage IT staff in planning and management of the department.
- Conduct annual performance reviews.
- Hold weekly meetings with technology team members.
- Hold weekly one-on-one meetings with IT staff that report directly to you.
- Perform quarterly measures for success based on goals set at beginning of each fiscal year.
- Works with AVP, IT & Security to develop and monitor the approved annual operating and capital budgets for information and technology systems.
- Works with AVP, IT & Security to maintain contact with IT suppliers and knowledge of current technology, equipment, prices, and terms of agreements to minimize the investment required to meet established service levels. Evaluates alternatives, performs appropriate cost benefit analysis, and recommends solutions that maximize effectiveness and minimize costs commensurate with acceptable risks.
- Develops and enforces policies and procedures to ensure the protection of the organization’s IT assets and the integrity, security and privacy of information entrusted to or maintained by the organization.
- Partners with VP Operations, and Organizational Development to ensure disaster recovery plans are maintained and tested.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, combined with the ability to market and report out complex initiatives to non-technical colleagues or business leadership.
- Must possess a blend of business acumen, consulting-like abilities, and analytics capabilities to identify areas of need and develop solutions that will provide optimal value to all internal stakeholders.
- Able to prioritize time between strategic thinking and tactical initiatives.
- Represent IT in project and leadership meetings, as appropriate.
- Primary point of contact for UWCM management for all technology-related initiatives.
- Build, develop, and maintain highly collaborative working relationships with the business divisions and IT.
- Review UWCM business processes from end-to-end to identify and address risks.
- Serve as a liaison between UWCM divisions and IT to assist or gather business requirements needed for new systems and tools, system modifications, enhancements, and implementations.
- Lead small to mid-size projects and assist project managers on larger, more complex projects.
- Track budgets and spend as allocated to projects and initiatives.
- Provide project-level analysis and documentation (business requirements, scope matrix, use cases, sequence diagrams, future state proposals, User Acceptance Testing plan, and workflow diagrams).
- Create and maintain meeting minutes, meeting schedules, project schedules and updates.
- Collaborate closely with developers to implement the requirements.
- Develop and execute test plans, provide necessary guidance to testers during QA process.
- Build relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders and vendors.
- Serve as member of Organizational Management Team (OMT)
- Serve as member of Finance/IT Division management team
- Staff the IT Volunteer Committee
- The ideal candidate will need to bring a mix of hard and soft skills in order to ensure his/her success.
- Given the scope of contribution of this role, it will be imperative that qualified candidates bring experience obtained through larger consulting firm or from a dynamically changing Infrastructure team.
- A background including B2B services, IT security, and cloud computing is preferred.
- He/She will bring an appetite for keeping current with new technology solutions and be incredibly passionate about solving business problems using technology.
- This person will need to bring a track record of hands-on, ‘doing’ – being personally responsible for the strategy, execution and success of systems that have been global in nature and have impacted the bottom-line efficiency and success of an organization.
- He/She will know how to quickly craft a written proposal and solution strategy, in addition to being comfortable with the responsibility of the hands-on execution work involved.
- In addition, qualified candidates will bring executive-level communication, decision, and presentation skills with all levels of business management.
- This should be an individual with a sense of both independence and urgency. He/She should have a solid background of autonomy and seeing initiatives through from beginning to end, with business impact and ROI defined.
- Our culture is fast-paced and dynamic. Someone who is looking for a lean, swift moving environment will be a good match.
- This position will require an individual who is very comfortable operating in an environment with a company that is experiencing rapid growth.
- Evaluate business processes, anticipate requirements, uncover areas for improvement, and develop and implement solutions.
- Lead ongoing reviews of business processes and develop optimization strategies.
- Ensure solutions meet business needs and requirements.
- Efficiency – realize significant improvement of processing efficiency through in-depth performance analysis and employ continuous improvement practices to increase quality products and customer service while lowering the cost of doing business, whenever possible.
- Innovation – design and implement cutting-edge solutions based on technical specifications and thorough research and testing, determine information requirements, determine boundaries and priorities of new projects, and discuss system capacity and equipment acquisitions with Senior VP & CFO.
- Annual IT Security Risk Assessment - as the business evolves and grows, new risks inevitably emerge. For example, new technology applications can increase vulnerability, and moving platforms off premise to the cloud can create new opportunities for hackers. Taking steps to modernize the business and introducing new technologies is necessary to drive growth, but we also must keep technology risk and security management in mind to identify and address potential threats and intrusions that come along with change. This position will work closely with the AVP, IT & Security to focus on identifying the threats facing our information systems, networks and data, and assessing the potential consequences we would face should these adverse events occur. Not only should we conduct these assessments annually, but also whenever major technology changes are implemented.
- Corporate Information Technology Leadership
- Participate with organizational leadership in development of strategic plans.
- Develop an annual IT Strategic Plan that is integrated with organizational plans.
- Communicate IT plans with management, staff, and the Board.
- Continuously learn from and educate management as well as staff on new or improved uses of information technology. Develop recommendations and strategies for the use of technology to improve business processes.
- Implement cost effective solutions to business problems on a timely basis.
Expected Outcome: Management is very satisfied with level of communication and support of IT. Organization plans and IT plans are integrated. Users are satisfied with level of IT support given normal financial constraints. New and innovative ways of using technology are implemented.
- Project Management and User Support
- Ensure project requests and requirements are identified and documented.
- Ensure help desk requests are identified and documented.
- Ensure responses to user requests for projects or help are performed on a timely basis.
- Coordinate project prioritization committees.
- Ensure ongoing user training is planned, budgeted, and performed.
- Coordinate and respond to user questions and concerns to determine appropriate action.
- Ensure documentation is adequate for use as well as maintenance of systems or databases.
Expected Outcome: Users are very satisfied with the timeliness and quality of support provided by the IT department. Users are trained on the use of their systems. External customers are satisfied with the level of IT support provided by UWGM.
- Ensures that all information systems and networks operate according to internal standards, external accrediting agency standards, regulatory agencies, and legal requirements.
- Coordinates and manages reporting needs and data analysis for the organization. Ensures that the gathering, processing, distribution, and use of pertinent information required by management to make decisions occur in a timely, accurate and cost-effective manner.
- Maintain Information Security Incident Response Plan.
- Facilitate correction of any system failures, contact point for computer problems.
- Oversee the development, maintenance, and communication of systems documentation, policies, and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPECTATIONS
This role requires proven experience as an IT Director or similar role.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Engineering, Technology or related field or commensurate work experience.
- Any Systems or Network Certifications or equivalent preferred.
- ITIL certification preferred.
- 10+ years of IT Management experience with a history of taking on additional leadership functions and promotions.
- Experience in handling multiple concurrent complex priorities and high severity operation incidents within a technical environment.
- Experience leading and developing a team of IT Infrastructure Professionals.
- Experience moving Infrastructure & Applications to the Cloud. Azure is preferred.
- Excellent management skills, including experience in the development of management reports, time management and organization skills, and ability to delegate authority and tasks.
- Software application proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with extensive experience with MS PowerPoint, MS Excel, and MS Word.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships within all levels from direct reports to their reports while coordinating with peers to drive deliverables.
- Strong communication skills with both internal staff and clients.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual thinking skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The employee must frequently talk and hear. Weights of up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted. There is extensive use of a computer. Employee is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position.
- An introduction with the IT Team should be held within the first week in order to review current workplans and projects and to add staff 1-on-1 meetings to the calendars.
- Orientation should be held with each member of the Executive Management Team within the first two (2) weeks.
- Review and get an understanding of the IT Policies and Procedures within first thirty (30) days of employment.
- Complete Relias Learning technical training courses within first thirty (30) days of employment.
- Also requires the completion of Trello training within the first sixty (60) days of employment. Trello is used by the organization for managing and tracking progress of projects. The IT Team uses Trello to monitor all technology projects.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via email to:
United Way of Central Marylandhrrecruiting@uwcm.orgAttention: Human Resources 1800 Washington Boulevard, Suite 340 Baltimore, MD 21230 Email: